I live in Hampstead and Kilburn with my husband Chris and care deeply about this area. My parents were married in Kilburn some forty years ago and I have spent my weekends campaigning here since I was 16, fighting to save our local hospitals, fire stations and post offices. This is the area that inspires me and that I want to represent in Parliament.
My politics are based on my experience of life in our area. I was previously a local councillor and Cabinet Member for Culture and Communities in Camden council, and have campaigned alongside the community for more than a decade.
One of my main responsibilities was being in charge of our much loved community centres and libraries. In the face of huge government cuts, I worked with the community and library users to save our libraries for future generations.
My passion for equality and justice comes from my early childhood experiences in Asia. I saw firsthand the impact that poverty can have on people’s life chances, and it has made me determined to help the most vulnerable and fight for social mobility.
My work at Amnesty International increased my commitment to campaigning and fighting for social justice. My firm belief in standing up for workers’ rights means I am a proud union member.
Through my roles in the local community, I have gained real insight into people’s priorities and needs, learning what they want from their MP. The roles include:
- Local Camden Councillor and Cabinet Member for Culture and Communities
- Chair of the Camden Library Network
- Governor at Richard Cobden Primary School
- Governor at the Working Men’s College
- Governor on the Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust
- Chair of the Camden Faith Leaders’ Forum
- Trustee of West Euston Partnership
I know how Parliament works and have spent most of the last decade working at a national level:
- Policy adviser to Dame Tessa Jowell MP
- Deputy field director for Ed Miliband’s leadership campaign
- Press officer for London Labour Party
- Researcher at Philip Gould Associates
- Researcher for the Greater London Authority
- Caseworker for Harry Cohen MP
Want to know more about me or share your ideas or concerns about our area? Send me an email or give me a ring. Click here for details on how to contact me.