I live in Hampstead and Kilburn with my husband Chris. I am the local candidate and this is the constituency that I care deeply about and want to represent in Parliament.
My politics are based on my experience of life in our area. I am a Labour Party councillor in Regent’s Park and Cabinet Member for Culture and Communities in Camden council.
One of my main responsibilities is being in charge of our much loved community centres and libraries. In the face of huge government cuts, I worked with the community and library users to save our libraries for future generations.
My passion for equality and justice comes from my early childhood experiences in Asia. I saw firsthand the impact that poverty can have on people’s life chances, and it has made me determined to help the most vulnerable.
My work at Amnesty International increased my commitment to campaigning and fighting for social justice. My firm belief in standing up for workers’ rights means I am a proud member of Unite the Union.
At the last election, Labour won this seat by just 42 votes. I want to be the candidate for this area because I’m determined to make my home seat a strong Labour constituency again.
Through my roles in the local community, I have gained real insight into people’s priorities and needs, learning what they want from their MP. The roles include:
- Local Camden Councillor and Cabinet Member for Culture and Communities
- Chair of the Camden Library Network
- Governor at Richard Cobden Primary School
- Governor at the Working Men’s College
- Governor on the Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust
- Chair of the Camden Faith Leaders’ Forum
- Trustee of West Euston Partnership
My Labour Party experience
I know how Parliament works and have spent most of the last decade supporting Labour at a national level:
- Deputy field director for Ed Miliband’s leadership campaign
- Policy adviser to Dame Tessa Jowell MP
- Press officer for London Labour Party
- Researcher at Philip Gould Associates
- Researcher for the Greater London Authority
- Caseworker for Harry Cohen MP
Want to know more about me? Send me an email or give me a ring. Click here for details on how to contact me.